Sunday, March 9, 2008

"The Days are Flying by (dated 27 February 2008)

"The second transfer is almost over. This means that I am almost done training and Elder Johnson will be moved (in all likelihood). He has spent his entire mission in Merimbula (seven and a half months. Few missionaries know him -- because of our distance and seclusion -- but many know of him: the elder stuck down in paradise.

"We have been engaged in an abundance of plentiful and productive service. From building goat pens to wielding the hedge trimmer of power we have been busy.

"From these endeavors I have been enlightened. Always ask 'what did I learn' and 'what will I do.' Life is a time of learning and growing. Lessons are taught. We have only to ask, seek, and knock. Experience is of the most value.

"We meet the most interesting people while tracting. I love speaking with the delightful crazy people. There are a lot of them in Eden for some odd reason. My goal with every encounter is to leave them more informed and with a good impression. No matter where you go in the world or in the mission these people will be there, I'm glad I get along with them.

"There is never a dull moment in the work, but I do not have much to report that is new. We organized a family home evening/ping pong night for our investigators and the branch. Every Thursday I have the privilege of being humbled.

"Table tennis is a huge sport in Australia. They have an odd taste for sport. You either like cricket or rugby; tennis or golf and if you like soccer you don't like anything else. There are even some dissensions in the rugby group: Australian rules versus Union -- even though the majority can't explain the difference, but they know what they like. The people are very passionate for their sports.

"I am learning how to make chocolate mousse. I call it the 'strong companionship elixir.' I also love to make googala. Its like a fried dumpling or donut (I learned this from a Tongan/Indian family), but I add more sugar and then coat them in a melted butter and sugar glaze. It makes your heart hurt, which is a good sign as far as us Americans are concerned.

"The work is great and the people are wonderful -- even if they do say 'aluminium.'"

No comments: