Friday, February 1, 2008

"One of my many lessons learned this week (for Mom)"

As we drive beneath the moonlit sky,
Where did the day go? How did it pass by?
We talk about the weather, and why we're getting fat.
We speak with excited voices about our new investigator Matt.
As the day dies out we discuss this, that, and the other;
But what I want to tell you is to listen to your mother.
Before my mission those months ago,
My mother dearest, who loves me so,
Asked me to rake the leaves and clean the gutter.
At such a request my heart would shudder.
"It will prepare you for your mission," she would often say,
But I did not believe her, not until today.
All those chores I tried to shirk
I am doing now as missionary work.
It's the way I am being humbled
For all those times I sorely mumbled.
This lesson you will find
Is what weighs most upon my mind.
Gratefully I thank my mother
Who taught me always to "love one another,"
Imploring me with all her might
Like Anti-Nephi-Lehis to never fight;
To get along and play nice
And seek for virtue, not for vice.
I've gone away to preach Down Under;
These thoughts I have shout truth asunder.
Driving the long road home this night,
It's crystal clear that MOM WAS RIGHT.

No comments: