Sunday, January 13, 2008

"New Years Eve,

when I went to change and get ready for bed, my hand froze as I reached into the closet. I came face to face with a spider the size of my hand.

"I instantly was transformed from a 19 year old elder to a 12 year old sister, and I set a new land speed record in my escape. Elder Johnson and I returned to photograph our foe and take him captive. We quickly emptied a tin of Danish Biscuits and attacked with reckless abandon. We trapped him. He's still in our kitchen in the tin. We're waiting until he dies and then we're going to stretch him out on a dinner plate and take a picture of him.

"The spider in the bathroom, still unidentified, remains our tenant. He may have to go soon; there are ants here too, and he's not carrying his weight.

"Tonight we went to Haycock point and had a picnic with some church members and some investigators. The waves were crashing over some volcanic rack we hiked on, and kangaroos were hopping across the beach as the waves rolled in. I learned how to play rugby 'footy.' What a day. You can't make this stuff up. The wind almost knocks you over.

"I had my first 'barby.' They throw every kind of meat on the barbecue you can think of and make you eat it all. In the Polynesian wards, you eat even more.

"New missionary training was great. President McMaster, Sister McMaster, and the sisters all gave lessons. Then we headed to the mission home for a testimony meeting and -- what else? -- a barby.

"I got to spend the night at the assistants new flat. They're great guys. We missed our train to Canberra, so I got to know them really well when they drove us down to the ACT (Australian Capital Territory). Sydney is scary, huge, ghetto and crazy."

No comments: