Thursday, December 6, 2007

"Everything in the MTC is wonderful,

but the field is going to be so much better.

"We are all so excited to finally begin the Lord's work and teach real investigators. Our branch presidency is constantly reminding us that it is not uncommon for wards to go on splits up to five nights a week. That means that, your first night there, you could very possibly have to go out with a priest and teach a lesson. I would like that. I love to teach. It becomes easier as you go -- not because you have the lesson memorized -- but because the more you study, the more ingrained the doctrine is in your testimony, so all you have to do is communicate what you know.

"Class for fourteen hours a day just flies by. It feels like I've been here a day but have grown ten years spiritually.

"Tuesdays and Sundays are amazing. Tuesday is the night we have a devotional by a Seventy or Apostle. This last Tuesday, we had Elder Christiansen of the Second Presidency of the Seventy. This Tuesday, we will probably have an apostle, as it is two weeks before Christmas.

"I do have to play the piano on Sunday. Last Sunday, I informed them that I could play, and they asked what I can play. I confidently answered that I could play any of the hymns -- which is true, if given fifteen minutes to look it over -- and they seemed excited. Sunday came, and I had three hymns picked out The meeting started, and the counselor of the presidency announced hymns that I hadn't even fathomed playing. The Spirit must have guided because there is no way I played very well. The next day I did a personal study on humility.

"Wednesday is my preparation day in the MTC, but I will have only one more before I leave [to the Australia Sydney South mission]. I... would not want to be doing anything else. I know what I am doing is what the Lord wants, and that makes it so much easier. Perhaps I will get homesick at twenty-two months, but so far all is well. 'I can of my own self do nothing.'"

--Elder Andrew Madson

Quotes from the MTC:

"If you can't be good, be good at it."

"It takes a great meeting to beat not meeting."

"Be the missionary that your mother thinks you are, and you can move mountains."

"The secret to success in missionary work is WORK."

No comments: