Tuesday, December 25, 2007

"After the first few days of the MTC,

time begins to race. Days blend together; days seem like weeks, and weeks seem like days. I have labeled this phenomenon the "SDS." As the spirit envelops your life, time does't hold its value quite the same. Your mind is occupied with joy, not sadness; diligence, not sloth; and obedience, not homesickness.

"You'll be glad to know that my longing for home has been minimal. When asked if I have been homesick, I tell them I was girl sick. I was sick of girls, so I came here. The odd sense of humor you gain between these ancient walls, concrete floors, and hollow aluminum beds that make up my experience.

"Spiritual Development Syndrome (SDS) is the result of losing yourself. It's not that any day in the MTC is bad; it's that the next day is so much better. Constantly, my testimony strengthens and my desire, my passion for service. As we learn and teach the principles of the gospel, the process becomes clear; you tell what you know is true.

"I find it so easy for Elder Beckert and I to teach the first lesson. Our compatibility and our shared internal desperation to make peoples' lives better through faith in our Savior Jesus Christ makes for a formula unrivaled. We are complimented on our teaching ability, but it is pride that will destroy our message.

"I personally have to study humility and thank the Lord for his constant influence in my life. This is the key to success: "I can of my own self do nothing."

"I used to be terrified of the future, especially college. But if I were to work half as hard there as I do now, there is nothing that could falter my potential with the gospel on my side.

--Elder Andrew Madson

No comments: